Overview of Assessment of JSS
Assessment for the JSS will be referred to as Kenya Junior Secondary Education assessment (KJSEA). At Pre-Vocational level, the assessment will be referred to as Kenya Pre-Vocational Level Education Assessment (KPLEA)..
5.2 Purpose of Assessment
Assessment at JSS and Pre-Vocational level shall serve the following purposes:
- Providing feedback on acquisition of competencies to the learner, teacher, parents/guardians, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Monitoring the achievement of learning outcomes at both individual and group levels.
- Informing policy makers and curriculum developers on areas to target for appropriate intervention.
- Facilitating the teacher to improve instructional strategies and approaches.
- Identifying gaps in the provision of resources that support implementation of curriculum.
- Informing parents and guardians on learners’ educational needs/areas for support or intervention.
- Encouraging learners to develop skills of self and peer assessment and to be responsible for own learning.
- Identifying and nurturing learners’ potential and talents.
- Informing transition and selection of pathways in SSS and Vocational level.
- Assessing possible extraneous and intervening factors and their impact on learner achievement.
- Certification and/or transitional report at the end of Grade 9 (KJSEA) and Pre-Vocational Level (KPLEA).
The Assessment Cycle in JSS
Assessment at JSS and Pre-Vocational level will conform to the key stages of the cycle as outlined in Figure 3.
Figure 3: KNEC Assessment Cycle
Subjects for Assessment at Junior Secondary School and Pre-Vocational Level
At JSS, learners will be assessed in all the 12 core subjects and one or two optional subjects as stipulated in the Curriculum Designs; while learners at the Pre- Vocational level will be assessed in 9 subjects as indicated in Tables 7 and 8.
Table 7: Subjects for Assessment at Junior Secondary School Level
|Core Subjects||(b) Optional Subjects|
|2.||Kiswahili or KSL||2||Performing Arts|
|4.||Integrated Science||4||Computer Science|
|5.||Health Education||5||Foreign Languages: German/ French Mandarin|
|6.||Pre-Technical and Pre-Career Education||6||Arabic|
|7.||Social Studies||7||Kenyan Sign Language|
|8.||Religious Education (Learners choose one of the following CRE, IRE or HRE)||8||Indigenous Language|
|12.||Sports and Physical Education|
Table 8: Subjects for Assessment at Pre-Vocational Level
|1.||Communication, Social and Literacy Skills|
|2.||Daily Living Skills|
|4.||Music and Movement|
|6.||Christian Religious Education|
|7.||Hindu Religious Education|
|8.||Islamic Religious Education|
|9.||Physical and Health Education|
|10.||Hygiene, Nutrition and Safety|