This should blend in as part of every component of writing to ensure that learners acquire the habit of sitting and placing their materials appropriately as they write.
Empasis on sitting posture, placing books in the correct position can be gradually reduced as learners demonstrate that their competencies have improved.
Variations to this suggestion should be made by continuously alerting those struggling with sitting and positioning writing materials appropriately while writing
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:- a) demonstrate appropriate posture in preparation for writing with ease,
- exhibit appropriate eye hand coordination in preparation for writing,
- appreciate the importance of positioning writing materials appropriately while writing.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners demonstrate appropriate sitting position in small groups and in pairs.
- Learners are guided to sit appropriately, in preparation for writing.
- Learners are shown the appropriate writing materials.
- Learners are shown how to position the exercise book correctly.
- Learners are shown how to hold pencils/ colouring materials correctly.
- Learners practice writing from the left to the right.
- Learners colour and draw different shapes and letters.
- Learners join dotted lines to make letters and patterns, draw patterns and shapes, trace letters and shapes and mould letters using plasticine or clay.
- Learners are shown how to use their exercise books well, without destroying them or wasting space.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- How do you sit when writing?
- How do you place your books
- Which materials do you use for writing?
Core Competences to be developed: Creativity and imagination, self efficacy, critical thinking and problem solving
Link to PCIs: Life skills-appropriate posture writing with ease, self awareness
Links to other subjects :All subjects
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Observe how people sit when they are writing, and share with them what they were taught at school.
Suggested Learning Resources: Realia, charts, pictures/ photographs and models of good sitting postures in readiness for writing.
Link to Values: Responsibility over writing materials.; Unity(working nin pairs and small groups)
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: visiting older citizens
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
The learner consistently exhibits appropriate body posture while writing, is aware of a variety of writing materials, holds and positions writing materials appropriately, maintains focus and follows lines when writing and always takes good care of writing materials.
The learner exhibits appropriate body posture while writing, is aware of writing materials, holds and positions writing materials appropriately, maintains focus and follows lines when writing and takes good care of writing materials.
With assistance the learner is able to sit properly while writing, hold and position writing materials appropriately, maintain focus sometimes and follows lines when writing and is occasionally careless with writing materials.
The learner is unable to sit properly while writing, hold or position writing materials appropriately, maintain focus or follow lines when writing and does not take care of writing materials.