Learners practise writing words every week, gradually becoming less dependent on prompts as they complete blank filling exercises. They also use the correct form of words.
Variations to this suggestion should be made by withdrawing picture prompts early, and increasing the blanks to be filled using various forms of words in a sentence. The progression to writing short phrases should also be accelarated in instances where learners can comfortably complete sentences without prompts. This is intended to take care of differentiated curriculum and learning. For those struggling with form and meaning of words , opportunities for more practise with various prompts should be availed.
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:-
- write words from a picture prompt for effective communication,
- recognise the correct form and meaning of the words to be used in filling in gaps,
- appreciate the importance of writing correct words to express meaning.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners observe and respond to picture prompts appropriately.
- Learners write a three word sentence using the prompts.
- Learners are guided in filling in the gaps correctly and meaningfully.
- In groups and pairs, learners match pictures with words.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- What items are found in the school?
- What items are found at home?
- Which animals
are kept at home?
- How do you get to your home from school?
Core Competences to be developed: Communication and Collaboration by matching pictures with words in groups.
Link to PCIs: Life skills-effective communication; Citizenship-social cohesion
(learners work in groups and in pairs)
Links to other subjects :Languages, Nutrition and Hygiene
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Look out for objects or items that they have not been taught about and make an attempt to name them. They should confirm with the teacher whether the names have been written correctly.
Suggested Learning Resources: Realia, charts, pictures/ photographs that prompt learners to write.
Link to Values: Responsibilty as learners observe and respond to picture prompts appropriately.
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: Support peers in learning meaning of words
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
Learner fills gaps using correct words and writes words from picture prompts with ease.
Learner fills gaps using correct words and writes words from picture prompts.
Learner fills gaps using correct words and writes words from picture prompts with some difficulty.
Below Expectations Learner fills gaps using correct words and writes words from picture prompts with a lot of difficulty.