Suggested learning outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
- Use a range of words for general greetings in school and at home.
- Greet people verbally with reference to time at home and at school.
- Bid people farewell using appropriate words at home and at school.
- Take pleasure in greeting and bidding farewell at home and at school.
Suggested learning experiences
- Learners could listen to a radio program on general and time related greetings and farewell and be guided to imitate.
- In pairs or small groups, learners could practice using general and time related greetings and farewell.
- Learners could observe pictures or charts on greetings and farewell and practice greeting and bidding farewell.
- Learners could be encouraged to respond to greetings and farewell using verbal and non-verbal language at relevant times.
- Learners could be guided to greet and bid farewell to visitors who come to class.
- Learners could be asked to greet and bid farewell to visitors and family members at home using appropriate words.
- Learners could be encouraged to listen to and imitate general and time related greetings and farewell presented on video clips.
- Learners could practise general and time related greetings and farewell through role playing communication with locally made phones.
Key Inquiry questions
- What opportunities arise for greetings and bidding farewell at home and at school?
- Who do you greet at home and at school?
- How do you greet people at different times of the day?
- How do you bid people farewell?
Core-competence developed: Digital literacy, communication and collaboration, learning to learn
Link to PCI: Citizenship: Social integration
Life skills: Effective communication
Link to Values: Peace, unity, respect
Link to other activity areas: Environmental and Social Activities,
Suggested community service learning
Organise for a school music day where parents are invited. Learners welcome visitors by greeting them as they arrive for the day and bid them farewell after the event.
Suggested Non-formal activity to support learning through application Arrange for a visit to another class and practice appropriate ways of greeting and bidding farewell.
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, observations, portfolio
Teaching/Learning Resources: Recorded clips, phones, pictures, realia, charts, radio
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Consistently greets and bids farewell appropriately using a variety of general as well as time related greetings and farewell.
Appropriately greets and bids farewell using a range of words for greeting and bidding farewell at different times of the day.
Greets and bids farewell but with a limited range of words.
Attempts to greet and bid farewell with guidance