CBC PP1 Curriculum Design-sub strand 4.2 writing readiness
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end the sub-strand, learners should be able to:
a) Demonstrate the ability to hold a writing tool properly in and out of class.
b) Scribble from left to right and top to bottom on a page.
c) Turn pages from right to left as they scribble.
d) Take pleasure in prewriting activities in and out of school.
Suggested Learning Experiences
• Learners could observe a demonstration on how to turn pages and practise turning pages from right to left.
• Learners could practise turning pages from right to left as they scribble on each page.
• In groups, learners could be guided to scribble from left to right on a page.
• Learners could be encouraged to observe a demonstration on how to hold a writing tool and imitate.
• Learners should sing songs and recite poems and rhymes on how to hold writing tools properly as they scribble from top to bottom on a page.
• Learners could be engaged in activities where they write patterns freely from left to right across a line while filling each page from the top to the bottom.
• Learners could record themselves as they write from left to right and top to bottom on a page and view the video clips for self assessment.
1) How do we hold a writing tool?
2) How do we turn pages in a book?
3) How do we scribble on a page?
Core competence: Learning to learn, digital literacy, communication and collaboration.
Link to PCI: Citizenship: Social Integration
Life skills: Effective Communication
Link to values: Unity, responsibility.
Link to other activity areas: Environmental and Social Activities
Suggested community service learning activities
Teacher should organise for learners to show case their pre writing skills to their parents during the school open day.
Suggested non formal activity to support learning:
Arrange for learners to practise pre-writing activities at the language corner in the class using a variety of materials.
Oral questions, observation, portfolio
Teaching/Learning Resources: Books, writing tools, songs, poems, video clips, ICT tools
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Consistently turns pages from right to left, writes from left to right across the line and effectively sustains eye hand coordination.
Turns pages from right to left, and writes from left to right across the line with sustained eye hand coordination most of the time.
Turns pages from right to left, writes from left to right across the line and coordinates the eye to the hand sometimes.
With guidance, turns pages from left to right but does not demonstrate eye hand coordination.