CBC PP1 Curriculum Design- sub strand 4.1 Book Handling Skills
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
a) Demonstrate how to handle books properly
b) Enjoy participating in book handling activities.
c) Participate in storing books properly in and out of school.
Suggested Learning Experiences
• Learners could observe as teacher demonstrates how to turn pages from right to left
• Learners could be encouraged to practise turning pages from left to right as demonstrated.
• Learners could be involved in a writing walk where they turn pages from right to left as they scribble on each page.
• In groups, learners could be guided to arrange books on shelves.
• Learners could observe a demonstration on how to cover books and imitate.
• Learners should practise how to hold a book appropriately whenever opportunities arise.
• In groups, learners could practise holding the book up-side-up, sing songs and recite poems and rhymes on how to hold books properly.
• Learners could be guided to arrange objects from top to bottom on a page.
1. How do we arrange books on shelves?
2. In what ways do learners mishandle books?
3. How do we take care of books?
Core Competence: Communication and collaboration , Learning to learn
Link to PCI: Citizenship: Social integration
Life-skills: (Stewardship) taking care of resources, Effective communication, peaceful co-existence, Self-awareness
Link to Values:
Link to other activity areas:
Environmental and Social Activities
Suggested community service learning
Organise for a visit to a library in the neighbourhood where learners will help in dusting and arranging books.
Suggested Non-formal activity to support learning through application Organize an inter-group language contest in class that incorporates book handling experiences.
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, observations
Teaching/Learning Resources: Books, pictures, recorded songs and rhymes, video clips, radio programmes
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Consistently handles books appropriately and stores books properly.
Handles books appropriately and stores books properly most of the times.
Handles books appropriately and stores books properly sometimes.
Handles books appropriately with guidance.