PP1 Curriculum Design: sub strand 2.2 Number Recognition
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
- identify numerals 1-9 for development of numeracy skills and symbolic representation of number
- appreciate use of numbers in day to day life experiences
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners to talk about numbers on number flash cards or number charts
- Guide learners to identify and talk about numbers found on objects in their environment
- A few learners to identify numbers on flash cards or charts
- Learners sing songs related to numbers 1- 9
- Learners model numbers 1- 9
- In pairs or small groups learners to play number recognition games (fishing game)
- Learners to form numbers, type number symbols, identify
number numerals using ICT
Key Inquiry Questions
- Which number is shown on the flashcard?
- Which number have you modelled?
- Who can show me two numbers on the number chart that look alike?
- Self efficacy as they sing and dance number songs,
- Communication and collaboration as they work in pair/small groups,
- Learning to learn as they identify numbers on objects found in their environment,
- Digital literacy as they identify numbers using ICT.
Link to PCIs:
- Citizenship: communication collaboration as they use materials together.
- Life skills: critical thinking as they recognize numbers.
- Values: Love,sharing and turn taking.
Link to other activity areas:
- Psychomotor and creative as they sing and dance songs on numbers,
- Language as they talk about number on flash cards/charts.
Suggested community service: – non-formal activity to support learning through application:
- Learners to Collect materials from the community to use them in making number flash cards hence making their environment clean.
- Learners to visit local football netball, volleyball, rugby clubs and talk about the numbers of players as written on their T-shirts.
Suggested Learning Resources: Number flash cards, charts, calendar, clay, plasticine.
Suggested Assessment Rubric:
Recognizing number numerals 19 and beyond
Tell differences between number numerals 1-9 and beyond
Able to appreciate numbers 1-9 and beyond
Recognizing number numerals 1-9
Tell differences between number numerals 1-9
Able to appreciate numbers 1-9
Recognizing number numerals 1-6
Tell differences between number numerals 1-6
Able to appreciate numbers 1-6Below expectation
Recognizing number numerals below 6
Tell differences between number numerals 1-5
Able to appreciate numbers below 5