Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:-
- use demonstratives to talk about body parts and gender,
- identify singular and plural nouns,
- appreciate the use of different demonstratives when communicating about objects that are near and far.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- In pairs, learners are aided by picture prompts to attach a demonstrative to either a singular or plural noun.
- Learners use objects that are near and far in the classroom to illustrate the correct use of demonstratives (This/ That); (These/Those).
- Learners use simple phrases to talk about parts of the body, in pairs or small groups.
- Learners identify demonstratives correctly to show location of singular and plural items for effective communication.
- Learners are assisted to choose appropriate demonstratives for the singular and plural nouns identified.
- Learners repeat sentence structures containing demonstratives from a story, poem or conversation they have listened to.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- What things can you see inside the classroom?
- What things can you see outside the classroom?
- What do we use to smell/ talk/ hold a pencil?
Core Competences to be developed: Communication and collaboration by using simple phrases to talk about parts of the body, in pairs or small groups ; Self Efficacy as they use demonstratives in locating objects that are far and near.
Link to PCIs: Life skills; effective communications
Education for sustainable development ; Environmental Education; ESD- Gender issues;
Learner Support Programmes- self-awareness
Links to other subjects: Number in Mathematics, Parts of the body in Kiswahili, use of demonstratives in all subjects.
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Peers talk about objects outside the classroom to illustrate the correct use of demonstratives
Suggested Learning Resources: Charts, pictures/ photographs and models of parts of the body, computer devices that have audio/visual recordings of dialogues with sentence structures on demonstratives.
Link to Values: Respect, Responsibility
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: Getting to learn about parts of the body in local languages and sharing about the names in English.
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
Learner is consistently able to use demonstratives appropriately for communication about a variety of singular and plural nouns that are near and far.
Learner is able to use demonstratives appropriately for communication about singular and plural nouns that are near and far.
Learner sometimes uses demonstratives for communication about some singular and plural nouns that are near and far.
Learner struggles to differentiate demonstratives for singular and plural nouns, that are near and those that far.