Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:-
- recognise the correct use of subject-verb agreement in sentences,
- use correct subject verb agreement to construct simple sentences about activities in the home,
- appreciate the importance of subject- verb agreement in conversation for effective communication.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners construct correct sentences based on pictures showing singular and plural subjects.
- In pairs/small groups learners construct sentences on demonstrated actions by one or more learners.
- Learners construct sentences using displayed realia representing singular and plural subjects at home and school.
- Learners construct sentences using singular and plural subjects at home like animals and utensils.
• Learners listen to a story, poem or conversation containing ‘was’ and ‘were’.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- What is Sarah holding?
- What are the girls holding?
- What was she holding?
- What were they holding?
Core Competences to be developed: Communication and collaboration through pair and group work to practice correct use of subject-verb agreement, Creativity and imagination through demonstrations and construction of sentences.
Link to PCIs: Life skills -Effective communication, Service learning and parental involvement ; ESD- Animal welfare
Links to other subjects: This is relevant to all subjects because it is useful in talking about the past, which generally occurs in all subjects.
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Constructing sentences that involve singular and plural subjects on actions that happen at home and the surrounding environment
Suggested Learning Resources: Realia, charts, pictures/ photographs and models of subject-verb agreement audio-visual recordings of dialogues with subject verb-subject
Link to Values: Respect, Responsibility, Unity when learners construct sentences in pairs and groups.
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: Reading to those who cannot read and sharing about the past.
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
Learner consistently recognises and uses subject-verb agreement correctly in simple sentences.
Learner recognises and uses subjectverb agreement correctly in simple sentences.
Learner sometimes recognises and uses subject-verb agreement correctly in some simple sentences.
Learner rarely recognises and uses subject-verb agreement correctly in simple sentences.