CBC PP1 Curriculum Design – sub strand 4.5 pattern writing
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
- Write simple line patterns in class.
- Use ICT devices to make simple line patterns in class.
- Hold writing tools appropriately when writing patterns.
- Enjoy participating in pattern writing activities in class.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners could observe the teacher demonstrate writing line patterns in the air and imitate.
- Learners could be engaged in tracing simple line patterns.
- Learners could be guided to record themselves as they copy patterns and view the clips as they receive positive feedback.
- In pairs or small groups, learners could make print patterns using different objects
- Learners could make line patterns using ICT devices such as using the writing wizard and ZEBRA applications.
- Learners could copy line patterns on sand trays or slate boards as the teacher demonstrates.
- Which line patterns are easy for children to write?
- What materials can children use to form line patterns?
- What activities would enhance pattern writing skills in children?
Core competence developed: Learning to learn, Creativity and imagination, Digital literacy.
Link to PCI: Citizenship: Social Integration
Life Skills: Creative thinking
Links to Values: Unity, Responsibility
Links to other activity areas:
Psychomotor and Creative Activities
Suggested community service learning
The teacher could organize for learners to make line patterns for display during the school’s open day.
Suggested Non-formal activity to support learning through application Organize an inter-class contest that incorporates pattern writing activities
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, observation, portfolio
Teaching/ Learning Resources: Tracing paper, tracing outline, computers, and objects for printing, ICT devices, flash cards, charts.
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Consistently arranges objects in a line, forms a variety of print and simple line patterns accurately and holds writing tool appropriately.
Arranges objects in a line, forms print and line patterns accurately and holds writing tool appropriately most of the time.
Arranges objects in line, forms print and simple line patterns accurately and holds writing tool appropriately sometimes.
With guidance, holds writing tools appropriately but does not arrange objects in a line and has difficulty making print and simple line patterns.