Specific learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
- Recognize sounds in the environment.
- Respond appropriately to sounds in the environment.
- Enjoy listening to sounds in the environment.
Suggested Learning experiences
- Learners could be engaged in activities involving responding to school bells, alarms, sirens, whistles, phone ringing, hooting among others.
- Learners could be guided to go for nature walk within the school compound where they identify sounds they hear.
- Learners could be involved in voice recognition activities.
- Learners could be engaged in identifying various sounds in the environment.
- Learners could imitate recorded audio clips.
- What are the common sounds in the environment?
- What sounds do different animals produce?
- Which sounds in the school environment call for specific response?
- How are children expected to respond to such sounds?
Core-competence developed: Learning to learn, digital literacy
Link to PCI: Citizenship: Social integration
ESD: Environmental education, Environmental awareness
Link to Values: Respect, Responsibility(e.g. responding to bells, alarms)
Link to other subjects:
Environmental and Social Activities.
Psychomotor and Creative Activities.
Suggested Community Service Learning
Arrange for learners to present a singing game incorporating auditory discrimination in a community function.
Suggested Non- Formal Activity to support learning through application
Learners take a nature walk within the school environment. They identify and imitate various sounds in the environment. Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Teaching/Learning Resources: ICT devices, bells, whistle, letter sound games, realia
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Consistently identifies, imitates and responds appropriately to sounds in the environment.
Recognizes , imitates and responds appropriately to sounds the environment.
Identifies, imitates and responds appropriately sometimes.
With guidance, identifies some sounds and responds to a few sounds in the environment.