PP1 Curriculum Design- sub strand 1.2 Matching and Pairing
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:
- identify similarities among objects in the environment
- identify differences among objects in the environment
- match similar objects in the environment
- pair objects according to specific criteria
- appreciate the use of different objects in the environment
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners collect and talk about similar different objects from the environment
- Teacher demonstrates matching and pairing objects according to one attribute (sameness, likeness or use)
- Few learners demonstrate matching and pairing according to one attribute (sameness, likeness or use)
- In groups or in pairs, individual learners match and pair objects according to likeness, sameness or use
- Learners relate objects to their use in the environment.
- Learners sing songs or recite poems on relationship or use of objects from the environment.
- Learners to match and pair objects according to one attribute using ICT devices.
Key Inquiry Questions
- Which objects look alike?
- What makes them look alike?
- How do we use these objects?
- How can we care for these objects?
Core competency: Communication and collaboration (as they work in groups); critical thinking and problem solving (when matching and pairing)
Link to other activity areas: Environmental Activities
Link to PCIs
- Citizenship: communication andcollaboration as they collect materials
- Life skills: critical thinking and problem solving as they match and pair similar objects
- Values: sharingand turn taking during matching and pairing activities.
Suggested community service learning:– non-formal activity to support learning through application: Learners to collect and recycle waste materials helps to clean the environment and keep it safe.
Suggested Learning Resources: Locally available materials (pens, books, sticks, shapes, cut-outs, blocks, clothing, utensils, pebbles, balls)
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Identifies 1 to 5 similar objects and mentions other s which are out of sight
Match objects up-to 5 pairs according to sameness, likeness and use and talk about more similar objects that match
Pair objects according to either sameness, likeness or use and talk about more items found in pairs
Identifies 1to 5 similar objects and not able to mention others out of sight.
Match objects up to 5 pairs according to two attributes.
Pair objects according to either sameness, likeness or use
Identifies up-to 2 similar objects
Match objects up to 3 pairs according to one attribute.
Pair objects according to only one attribute ; sameness or likeness
Identifies only 1 similar objects
Able to identify one attribute but cannot match
Can only pair one or two objects correctly according to sameness or likeness