PP1 Curriculum Design: sub strand 1.1 Sorting & Grouping
Specific Learning Outcomes
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners look at and talk about objects with different colours, sizes and shapes.
- Teacher demonstrates sorting and grouping objects by one attribute up to two groups (colour, size and shape).
- Two learners demonstrate sorting, grouping and comparing objects by one attribute (colour, size and shape).
- Learners in groups, pairs or individually, sort and group objects according to one attribute.
- Learners relate specific attributes to other objects in the environment.
- Learners to sing songs related to sorting and grouping objects.
- Learners to collect and store materials in their respective corners.
- Learners to sort and group objects according to one attribute using ICT devices.
Key Inquiry Questions
- Which objects look alike?
- Which objects have same colour, shape or size?
- Which two objects are different?
- Why have you grouped these objects together?
- Why store materials after use?
Core Competencies: Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Communication and Collaboration.
Link to Pertinent and contemplary issues (PCIs).
- Citizenship: collaboration and communication during the collection and use of materials.
- Life skills: problem solving during the identification and grouping of objects.
Values: Sharing and taking turns
Link to other activity areas Language, Environmental, Psychomotor and Creative activities
Suggested community service learning – non-formal activity to support learning through application: Go round the school compound picking the useful objects that can be recycled for sorting and grouping.
Suggested learning resources:
Locally available materials of different colours, shapes and sizes such as flowers pebbles, shells, paper cut outs, bottle tops, seeds, feathers, fruits ,beads, shapes, pictures, DVDs, Computers
Suggested Assessment Rubrics:
. Can identify similar and different objects using at least three attributes colour, size, and shapes.
Can sort and group objects in the environment using more than three attributes – colour, shape size, texture.
Group objects according to more than one attribute, colour shape, size and texture.
Collects materials of different attributes. Group objects according to more than one attribute; colour, shape, size and texture and store them in different learning corners.
Can identify similar and different objects based on two attributes – size, colour and shape.
Can sort and group objects using three attributes – colour, shape and size.
Group objects according to three attributes, colour shape, size.
Collects materials of three different attributes and store them in different learning corners
Can identify similar and different objects based on one attribute either colour, shape or size.
Can sort and group objects using two attributes – colour and shape.
Group objects according to two attributes colour and shape.
Collects materials of two different attributes and store them in different learning corners. earning corners.
Unable to identify objects based on a given attribute either colour, shape or size.
Can sort and group objects up to using only one attribute.
Can sort and group objects according to at least one attribute, colour, shape, Size and texture.
Unable to collects materials according to given instructions on different attributes and store them.