PP1 Curriculum Design: Maths-sub strand 3.6 Area (Surface of Objects)
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to: a) observe different surfaces of different objects in the environment
- identify surfaces of different objects in the environment
- cover the area of different surfaces of objects using smaller objects
- appreciate different surfaces in the environment
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners are guided to observe and identify different surfaces of objects in the environment
- Few learners identify different surfaces of objects in the environment
- In small groups or pairs, learners compare different surfaces of objects
- Demonstrate covering surfaces using small objects from the environment.
- Learners cover surfaces using small objects in the environment.
- Learners to shade or colour surfaces of different objects using ICT devices.
Key Inquiry Questions
- How many small
pieces can cover this surface?
- Which surface is smaller or bigger?
- What else can we use to cover these surfaces?
- Communication and collaboration as they work in groups
- Critical thinking and problem solving as they cover and find out pieces that can cover a surface
Link to PCIs:
- Citizenship: communication and collaboration as they collect materials.
- Life skill: critical thinking and problem solving as they cover surfaces.
- Values: love as they share and take turns.
Link to other activity areas:
- Psychomotor and creative activities
- Language activities
- Environmental activities
Suggested community service: – non-formal activity to support learning through application:
• Learners to participate in cleaning their neighbourhood
Suggested learning resources: Tables, plates, books, pieces of paper, bottle tops, hands, feet, blocks.
Suggested Assessment Rubrics
Identifying surfaces of 4 objects in the
Group 4 different surfaces according to size
Be able to use over 4 small objects to cover a surface
Identifying surfaces of 3 objects in the
Group 3 different surfaces according to size
Be able to use 3 small objects to cover a surface
Identifying surfaces of 2 objects in the environment
Group 2 different surfaces according to size
Be able to use 2 small objects to cover a surface
of 1 objects in the environment
Group 1 different surfaces according to size
Be able to use 1 small object to cover a surface