What are the uses of the various kitchen utensils?
Pictures of various kitchen utensils
Which kitchen utensils are fragile?
Kitchen utensils are made from different materials. Some kitchen utensils break easily. Other kitchen utensils do not break easily. Utensils that break easily are called fragile utensils.
Fragile utensils are made of glass, earthenware and ceramic material.
Gourds are also fragile. Earthenware and ceramic utensils are made of clay.
Which materials do we use to clean fragile kitchen utensils?
Pictures of materials used to clean utensils.
Cleaning a glass
You will need: a glass, a ponge, sisal fibre or a soft cloth, two basins, warm water, a dish cloth, dish rack.
1. Put some warm water in a basin 2. Wet the glass and sponge.
- Apply some soap on the sponge.
- Wash the glass gently in the warm water.Scrub the inside and outside of the glass.
- Rinse it properly in Clean water.
- Wipe it using a dish cloth so as to make it shine.You can also place the glass upside down on a dish rack to dry.
- Store the glass safely in a cupboard.
Cleaning a thermo flask
You will need: a thermo flask,a sponge,a soft cloth,two basins, soap,warm water, dishcloth and a dish rack.
- Put some clean warm water in a basin.
- Apply soap on a sponge,sisal pad or soft cloth and put it in the flask 3. Pour some of the warm soapy water in the flask and shake it gently.
- Pour the soapy water and the sponge back in to the basin
- Scrub the outside of the flask and the mouth of the flask, clean the lid.
- Rinse the flask and the lid in clean warm water.
- Dry the flask on a dish rack
- Store the thermo flask safely in a cupboard once dry.
How do we clean, dry and store earthen and ceramic utensils?
How to clean a clay pot.
You will need: a basin, warm water and a sisal pad or a dry maize cob.
- Put some water in the pot .Leave it in the pot for a few minutes to sock.
- Scrape off the food remains using a sisal pad or a dry maize cob.
- Pour out the dirty water.
- Put some clean water in the pot.Scrub the inside and then the outside of the pot using a pad of sisal fibre.
- Rinse the pot using clean warm water.
- Dry the pot upside down on a drying rack.
- When it is dry ,store it upside down on a storage rack, or keep it standing in a safe corner.
How to clean a ceramic cup
You will need: a ceramic cup, soap, a sponge, a soft cloth or a pad of sisal fibre, warm water, two basins and a utensil rack.
- Put some clean warm water in a basin
- Apply some soap on a sponge
- Dip the cup in warm water. Use the sponge to gently scrub the cupon the inside and on the outside.
- Rinse the cup properly in Clean warm water.
- Dry the cup on a rack
- Once it is dry,store it safely in a cupboard.
How do we clean, dry and store a gourd?
How to clean a gourd.
You will need: a gourd, warm water, a basin, small stones and a sponge or sisal pad.
- Put some small stones in the gourd.
- Add some clean warm water.
- Shake gourd gently several times.
- Pour out the water and the small stones.
- Scrub the outside of the gourd with a sponge or sisal pad.
- Rinse the gourd with the warm water until it is clean
- Dry the gourd upside down on a rack. Ensure it is safe.
- When it is dry,store it on a rack ,or hang it on a wall using string.
Safety when cleaning fragile utensils.
- Handle fragile utensils with care.
- Do not stack glasses
- Wash one utensils at a time
- Wash the utensils using a soft material.
- Do not put glasses in very hot water.
- Do not use soap when cleaning clay pots and gourds.
- Always dry gourds and earthen utensils well before storage.
- Store fragile utensils safely away from the reach of children.
1 a) Name three fragile kitchen utensils you use at your home.
b) Write two things you should do when cleaning glasses to make sure they do not break.
2. You have been asked to show the learners in your class how to wash a glass.
- Write down three materials you will use.
- How will you reuse the water after washing?
Sub topic: cooking food
Why do we cook food?
- We cook food to become soft
- We cook food so that it can be easier to eat
- We cook food for easier digestion
- We cook food for it to taste good
- We cook food to kill germs We cook food for it to last longer.
What hygiene practices should we observe when cooking food?
- Wear clean clothes when cooking.
- Cooking food properly
- Washing hands before touching Food.
- Covering head with a cap and wear on apron.
- Cook and serve food in clean utensils.
- Cover cooked food and keep it in a clean place.