TOPIC 4: THE CHURCH.
Meaning of unity of believers.
Unity of Believers is the oneness of those who have faith in God.
It can also be defined as those who meet together because of their common believe in God.
Activities which promoted unity in the Early Church.
- Working together.
- Praying together.
- Treating people with respect.
- Shared belongings.
- They welcomed others to their homes.
- They read the word of God together.
Strategies used by Christian to promote unity.
- They promoted unity by praying together.
- Reading the word of God together.
- Sharing meals.
- Sharing belongings.
- Working together in helping the needy.
- Taking donations to children’s homes.
- Visiting the elderly and perform household chores.
- Unity of believers as the people of God are those people who follow Jesus
Christ and his teachings. Christians from different backgrounds are united with God through Jesus Christ.
- Unity of believers as a community of believers are those people who believe in Jesus Christ, pray together. They love and care for all.
- Unity of believers as a family of believers are the people who study God’s word and honour God through worshipping together. They also support each other.
Get Free Grade 5 CBC Notes
The Lord’s Supper.
The Lord’s Supper is the last meal that Jesus Christ shared with his disciples before his crucifixion.
Events that took place during the Lord’s Supper.
Read Luke 22:14-20.
- Jesus took his place at the table.
- He took a cup and gave thanks to God.
- He gave the cup to his disciples to share among themselves. ● He took a piece of bread, gave thanks to God and broke it.
Significance of the Lord’s Supper to Christians today.
Jesus shared the meal with the disciples to prepare them for his coming death. Other names of the Lord’s Supper: Eucharist, Holy Communion, last Supper, Lord’s Table, holy Sacrament.
Christians learn that they should celebrate the Lord’s Supper in remembrance of Jesus Christ.
Christians learn to be humble.
Christians learn that they should share with others.
It unites Christians as they fellowship with each other. It is a sign of obedience to Jesus Christ.
Values required during the celebration of the Eucharist.
✔ These values include:
The role of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to believers for the good of others.
The Holy Spirit purifies and enables believers to bear good fruits in their lives.
The gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-12.
● They include knowledge, wisdom, preaching, faith, performing miracles, speaking in tongues, interpreting tongues, healing, differentiating spirits, and love.
How the fruits of the Holy Spirit helps in promoting God’s work.
Read Galatians 5:22-23.
Fruits of the Holy Spirit include love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, self-control.
Values that influence the life of Christians from the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Love helps us to assist the needy which is doing God’s work.
Self-control assists us to behave well.
Knowledge helps us to analyze the right from wrong.
Through the gifts and fruits, we are able to serve God and others.
We should pray to God to give us the Holy Spirit who helps us to do good things.
Power of intercessory prayer.
- We pray for different things.
- A prayer for self is a petition prayer.
- Intercessory prayer is the prayer we pray for others.
The story of Peter’s miraculous Rescue.
Read Acts 12:3-17.
- The people of the church prayed for Peter.
- An angel of the Lord came to the cell.
- He shook Peter by the shoulder and woke him up.
- The chains fell off Peter’s hands.
- The angel told Peter to fasten his belt, put on his sandals and cloak.
- Peter obeyed.
- The angel then commanded Peter to flow him.
- As he followed the angel, he thought he was seeing a vision.
- They passed the first and second guards then came to the last gate, which led to the city.
- The gate opened itself and they went out.
- God rescued Peter from prison.
- God has power to save us from any difficult situation.
- We should pray for other people for God to meet their needs.
Ways Christians demonstrate their faith in God.
Praying to God.
Reading the bible. Repenting sins.
Caring for God’s creation.
Helping the needy.
Visiting the sick.
Singing and praising God.