Topic 3: Consumer Education
Sub topic: Consumer awareness
What is a shopping list?
When you want to shop, you should first prepare a list of all the items you want to buy. This list is known as shopping list.
Why is a shopping list important?
- It saves money by helping a person to buy only the things they need.
- It saves time when shopping. This is because a person knows exactly what to buy.
- It reduces by helping a person to choose items that are most important.
- It enables a person to know the amount of money he or she needs to buy the items.
What are the steps of making a shopping list?
- Think About all the things you want to buy
- Consider the money you have
- Think about important items and the less important items
- Write your list, starting with the most important items.
Write how much each item costs.
- Barry wanted to do shopping. He wrote the following items on a piece of water.
- Sukuma wiki
Where should Barry go to buy the items?
- Write down three important reasons why one should make a shopping list.
Topic 4: Foods and nutrition
Sub topic: Choosing foods
What items do we buy from a general grocery?
A general grocery is a shop that sells food items and small household goods.
A grocery shop that sells fruits and vegetables is known a green grocery.
Pictures of some groceries.
What do we consider when choosing foods from a general grocery?
- The type of material the packaging is made of
- The weight of the item that has been packaged The price of the item that has been packaged. The date of expiry written on the package.
- You have ksh 500 to buy the items below at the nearby grocery shop
1 packet of maize flour at ksh 120, 1 litre milk at ksh 60, 1 loaf of bread at ksh 50 and 1 bunch of spinach at ksh 10 each. a) Prepare a shopping list.
- How much money will you use to pay for all the items?
- When receiving your balance, the grocery gives you ksh 20 more. What should you do with the extra ksh 20?
- What would you look for when buying a packet of maize flour from a grocery shop?
- Write two things that would happen if there was no grocery shop in your village or town.
Sub topic: Variety in the diet
What foods are available in our locality?
The pictures below show the foods that are available in our locality.
How do we classify foods?
Foods can be classified into three groups
- Foods that give us energy
Potatoes, maize, rice, yams, ugali, sorghum.
- Body building foods
Meat, chicken, fish, beans, milk, green gram
- Protective foods
Mangoes, oranges, kales, spinach, cabbage, kunde, managu
What is variety in the diet?
Variety in the diet means eating foods from the three food groups. A healthy meal has variety. It contains foods fry the three groups in the right amount. This is called a balanced meal or a balanced diet.
Sub topic: Preservation of milk
What are the sources of milk in our locality?
We get milk from various sources in our locality. We get milk from vendors, shops and dairy farmers.
Why do we preserve milk?
Fresh milk should be preserved because it goes bad easily. When it goes bad, it goes to waste.
Reasons for preserving milk.
- To prevent it from getting spoilt.
- To prevent wastage
- To make it last longer
- To make it easy to store and transport.
How do we preserve milk?
There are different methods of preserving milk.
- Boil the milk. Boiling kills germs that make milk to go bad.
- Put the milk in a refrigerator. The low temperatures prevent the milk from going bad.
- Ferment the milk. Fermented milk can be used for a longer time than fresh milk.
- You can also use a home made cooler to preserve milk.
Using different methods to preserve milk.
Preserving milk by boiling it.
You will need: a clean sufuria, a jiko, fresh milk and a sieve.
- Sieve the fresh milk into a clean sufuria.
- Light the jiko and place the sufuria on the fire.
- Heat the milk until it starts to rise.
- Lower the heat and let the milk boil for about one minute.
- Remove the sufuria in a clean place and let the milk cool.
- Once the milk is cool, cover it with a lid.
Preserving milk by fermenting it.
You will need: fresh boiled milk, a gourd or a plastic container.
- Pour the fresh milk in a gourd or plastic container plastic container.
- Cover the mouth of the gourd or the container tightly using a lid or cock.
- Keep the container or the gourd in a warm place.
- Do not disturb the milk for around two days to allow it to ferment.
- Shake it before you serve it.
- Name the sources of milk in your locality.
- Why do we preserve milk?
- Name two uses of milk in our bodies.
- The pictures below show some methods of preserving milk.