This should blend in as part of every component of reading to ensure that learners acquire the habit of sitting and placing their materials appropriately as they read.
Empasis on sitting posture, placing books in the correct position can be gradually reduced as learners demonstrate that their competencies have improved.
Variations to this suggestion should be made by continuously alerting those struggling with sitting and positioning reading materials appropriately while reading.
Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:- a) demonstrate appropriate posture in preparation for reading,
- identify small and capital letters of the alphabet for reading preparedness,
- appreciate the importance of positioning materials appropriately for reading.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners demonstrate and practice the correct body posture while reading.
- Learners place books in the correct book position and practice turning the pages.
- Learners turn over the pages of a book from left to right for easy reading.
- Learners track print through finger pointing as the teacher reads.
- Learners differentiate shapes, colours and sizes of objects.
- Learners track print through finger pointing for easy identification of letters and focus eyes on a line or word.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- How do the people you know sit when reading?
- How do the people you know place books and newspapers while reading?
- Which do you like reading?
Core Competences to be developed: Communication and collaboration , Critical thinking and problem solving, rearranging of objects
Link to PCIs: Life skills: self-awareness (appropriate body posture)
Links to other subjects : Relevant to all learning areas in the curriculum as it prepares learners for reading across the curriculum.
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Demonstrating good postures in informal settings.
Suggested Learning Resources: Charts, pictures/ photographs and models of good body postures as one prepares to read, audio-visual recordings of appropriate postures.
Link to Values: Responsibility over reading materials under their custody.
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: Observation of people’s sitting and positioning of reading materials and helping them.
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
Learner consistently demonstrates appropriate body posture and identifies capital and small letters.
Learner demonstrates appropriate body posture and identifies capital and small letters.
Learner sometimes demonstrates appropriate body posture and identifies capital and small letters.
Learner rarely demonstrates appropriate body posture and identifies capital and small letters.