Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub strand, the learner should be able to:- a) use describing words to talk about cardinal numbers, shapes and colours,
- describe the shapes, sizes of objects in the classroom using adjectives,
- appreciate the use of colour, size and number to describe nouns.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners group objects according to their size- big/small, colour- red, orange, yellow and numbers.
- Learners describe objects in the classroom using size, colour and numbers.
- Learners identify things in the environment that have different colours.
- Learners construct sentences in pairs about the size, colour and numbers different objects.
- Learners count one (1) to ninety nine (99) to describe objects.
- Learners colour different drawings of objects appropriately.
- Learners repeat sentence structures containing describing words from a story, poem or conversation they have listened to.
Key Inquiry Question(s)
- What things do you see outside the classroom?
- What colour are they?
- How many are they?
Core Competences to be developed: Communication and collaboration as ;earmers group and describe objects,creativity and imagination as they colour objects .
Link to PCIs: Life skills (Effective communication); ESD- Environemtal Education
Links to other subjects : Mathematics (counting)
Kiswahili (describing words)
Suggested non-formal activity to support learning: Describe objects in their homes and share with other members of the family differences in colour and size, they can describe the days they do not go to school using ordinal numbers (Saturday and Sunday)
Suggested Learning Resources: Realia, charts, pictures/ photographs and models of objects with different colours and sizes, audio-visual recordings of dialogues with sentence structures on colours, sizes and shapes.
Link to Values: Unity, Responsibility
Suggested Community Service Learning activities: Helping friends and semi-literate members of the community with counting.
Suggested assessment: Oral questions, portfolio, observation
Suggested Formative Assessment Rubric
Learner always demonstrates the ability to describe objects accurately using different numbers, sizes and shapes.
Learner demonstrates the ability to describe objects accurately using different numbers, sizes and shapes
Learner sometimes demonstrates the ability to describe objects using a few numbers, sizes and shapes
Learner demonstrates a lot of inaccuracy in describing objects using numbers, sizes and shapes.