Specific Learning Outcomes
By the end of the sub-strand, the learner should be able to:-
- use a range of spelling strategies to correct misspelled words,
- apply rules of spelling in writing,
- appreciate the importance of accurate spelling in texts.
Suggested Learning Experiences
- Learners do word study on word patterns (for similarities and differences), in pairs and small groups.
- Learners practice sorting words according to given patterns.
- Learners use reinforcement activities to relate patterns to themes i.e.(sing the song avocado, papaya, banana x2 fruits are life).
- Learners engage in spelling games e.g. forming words from letter cut outs, scrabble, spelling relay.
- Learners brainstorm on new words learned and practice spelling them in writing(punctuation, accurate spelling, letter formation, and spacing).
- Learners identify and correct spelling errors in texts read.
Key Inquiry Questions
1) What can you do to spell words correctly?
Core-Competence to be developed:
Communication and collaboration: learners work in groups to play spelling games
Critical thinking and problem solving: learners participate in word study
Link to PCIs: Life skills: Skills of knowing and living with others – effective communication.
Links to other learning areas: all learning areas
Suggested Non-Formal Activity to support learning through application: learners share and compare new words learnt with peers
Suggested Resources: Flashcards, books, pencils, word boards
Link to values: Respect, responsibility
Suggested Community Service Learning: learners engage older members of the community to conduct word studies of new words and share with other learners in class
Suggested Assessment: spelling tests (dictation)
Suggested Formative Assessment and Rubric
- applies rules of spelling and punctuations with ease in both familiar and unfamiliar context
- spells familiar and unfamiliar words accurately
- applies rules of spelling and punctuation in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts
- spells many words accurately
- sometimes applies rules of spelling and punctuation in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts
- can spell some words accurately
- rarely applies rules of spelling and punctuation in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts
- has difficulty spelling words correctly