Grade 4 Home Science Notes: Healthy practices
Sub topic: Play
To grow healthy, we need food, clothing, play, rest and shelter.
Shelter is housing.
Which games are played in our locality?
Games played in our locality are football, Athletics, tug of war, swinging, playing darts, playing games on computers.
Which items do we use during playing?
Items we use when playing are;
Ropes, computers, bean bags, balls, sacks, phones, mats and marbles.
What are the qualities of a good play item?
- Should be durable
- Should be smooth not rough that can hurt people
- Should be safe to play with
How do we make play items?
Making a ball using locally available materials.
Pieces of cloth or old newspapers, an old clean sock and string
- Take the old sack
- Put pieces of news paper or cloth in the old sock. Push them to the Bottom of the sock.
- Mold the pieces into the shape of a ball.
- Twist the sock and turn the top side inside out. Tuck in the ball.
- Tie the end with a string or make a note.
Pictures of the procedure on making a ball
How do we take care of our play items?
Play items should be kept well after use.
Arrange them well on the shelves or put them in cartons neatly.
Always keep them in a clean dry place.
Grade 4 Home Science Notes: Safety and Security During Play.
- Remove items like stones, sticks, and broken glass from where you are playing.
- Avoid playing near dangerous areas like water pools and holes. Do not play with damaged play items Do not play with dangerous objects.
- Never push other children out of a game.
- Always wait for your turn.
- Always keep your play items safely after playing.